Presentation of the Project and Objectives
The Rome Conference established an inventory of the position of women in the Mediterranean and on the basis of the observations made, it was agreed that it would be useful to establish a network of women for democratic governance and a cycle of conferences in Mediterranean countries entitled "the North-South process for the empowerment of women."
The project "The North-South process for the empowerment of women" has the following objectives:
- Establish an Euro-Med Women Network led by a steering committee composed of a chairperson and eight members (four representatives of North and four representatives of the South);
- Prepare the annual conference to be held in Turkey in November 2012, through on-line forum discussions and through national workshops to be held in Tetuan (in July 2012) and in Tunisia (end of 2012), which will serve to establish a precise inventory of the human rights situation of women in political, economic and social development;
- Initiate leadership training and capacity-building seminars for young women in targeted countries.
Initially composed by all the participants to the Rome Conference as "founding members", the Network aims to grow and gather as many representatives of the "quadrilogue" as possible:
- Representatives of the civil society
- Representatives of local and regional authorities
- Representatives of National Parliaments
- Representatives of National Governments
The Network will be monitored by a STEERING COMMITTEE composed by:
- The President of the Steering Committee: Mrs. Deborah Bergamini, President of the North-South Executive Committee
- A representative of the country hosting the international conference of the "North-South Process for the Empowerment of Women": in 2012 Mrs Nursuna Memecan, Chairperson of the Turkish Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
- 4 representatives of the "quadrilogue" coming from the South
- 4 representatives of the "quadrilogue" coming from the North